What is a Gris-Gris?
A Gris-Gris (aka grigri) is an African centric voodoo amulet which has a specific intent and purpose of protecting the wearer from evil spirits, negative forces, brings in luck and/or is used as a method of contraception*. It usually takes the shape of a small cloth bag and contains a ritualistic amount of small objects (usually a prime number between 3-13) and prayers from the Qur’an which is specifically tailored to the person who will be wearing it.
Tina’s Make Your Own Gris-Gris Bag (© T. Georgitsis 2014)
- Personal effect of wearer.
- Stones, crystals, herbs, roots, resins, bones, coins, charms and tokens.
- Seal, sigil, prayer or petition which has been drawn with magickal ink on parchment.
- 2 inch by 3 inch hand stitched bag with one end left open and made from cotton, flannel or leather (chose a colour to suit your intent);
- Handmade cord, hemp string, wax thread or leather cording.
- Ensure the 4 elements are present upon your working altar: candle- east, bowl of blessed water – west, incense – north, graveyard dirt- south and arrange them appropriately over a symbol of a cosmogram or veve.
- Place the bag in the centre as this is where you will create your gris-gris.
- Bless and smudge the 3-13 items individually as you put them in the bag.
- Tie up the open end of the bag with cord or string.
- Sprinkle with blessed water and recite a personal incantation of intent.
- Smudge with incense.
- Recite personal words of power into the gris-gris to active it.
- Finally focus your intent and purpose of the gris-gris and breathe on it.
Simple Use for Gris-Gris
Pin to your undergarment for personal protection.
* = with complimentary assistance, do not use as the only method of contraception.
© T. Georgitsis 2014