Witches Flying Oil is an agent used to assist witches reach the astral or trance states. In the 1300’s witches flying ointments were made with heated animal fats and nightshade herbs which was claimed to help them fly to the Sabbath on their brooms. I have created a Witches Flying Oil which is a vegetable based oil, infused with herbs which is a milder version of witches flying ointments.
I personally like to grow my own herbs as that way I know that they are organic and environmentally clean. I know that not everyone can do that so if you need to source them I suggest you purchase organically grown or alternatively trade, barter or swap with friends or family who grow their own in a pesticide free environment. Also to note is to please be mindful when when wildcrafting herbs ensuring that the locations you are gathering them from are not sprayed with chemicals or polluted by traffic and negative human interference.
I like to speak or sing to the herbs I am utilising in my witches flying oil by respectfully calling them to action and setting their intentions. I like to do this during the full moon, new moon or waxing moon – depending which herbs resonate with which moon phase with the aide of Hekate as her Pharmakia. When my oil is complete I also like to charge it during new, dark or full moon. I activate and charge my herbs and finished oil in a ritual dedicated to Hekate so I suggest you do something similar by creating sacred space and evoking Hekate, activating and charging the items as a form of offering, thanking and farewelling Hekate and closing sacred space.
The following herbs are the ones I like to use in my Witches Flying Oil, not only because they are used in Hekate’s practice but also for the following magical reasons:
Bay Laurel: Enhances psychic ability and prophecy whilst allowing healing energy and protecting against negative influences.
*Mandrake: Enhances imagination and psychic ability whilst encouraging hallucinations. Also magnifies magickal workings energetically.
Mugwort: Enhances psychic projection/ability, prophecy, altered states of consciousness and divination whilst providing protection.
Wormwood: Enhances divination, visions and astral projection whilst also providing protection.
Poppy: Enhances success, dream work, calming and cleansing energies. Also used for its invisibility properties against those who want to see your magickal workings.
Olive Oil: Enhances protection, blessings and cleansing and great for working as an anointing base.
Here is my recipe for my Witches Flying Oil with details of how to make it and how to use it safely:
Setjataset’s Witches Flying Oil for Hekate (© T. Georgitsis 2014)
- Bay Laurel Leaves – 2 tablespoon crushed herb
- *Mandrake Root – 1/2 teaspoon cut up root
- Mugwort Leaves – 2 tablespoons cut up herb
- Wormwood Leaves – 1 tablespoon cut up herb
- Poppy Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon seeds
- 375 ml size glass jar with lid
- Place clean dry ingredients in a glass jar and fill the rest of the jar with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Before closing the lid, put some cling wrap over the jar mouth if it has a metal lid to prevent it from from corroding.
- Succuss (shake) the herbs in the oil solution daily for a month.
- Steep for a month in a cool dark place remembering to success the bottle daily.
- Strain solution through cheesecloth (at least three times) and then bottle securely in smaller jars. Label jars to ensure you know what they are for future reference.
Suggested Use for Witches Flying Oil
- Make sure you patch test on your bottom part of your inner forearm to ensure you don’t have an allergic reaction and ensure you do not ever take this oil internally.
- Ensure that you are in a safe and comfortable environment when first trialling the oil and that you are feeling well and that there is someone close by in case of a medical emergency.
- If no allergic reaction occurs after trialling some on your forearm, place a small amount on your palms, on the inside of your wrists or back of your knees, or the nape of your neck for inducement of trance and flying on the astral.
- You should feel the effects of the flying oil which include an altered state of consciousness when you enter a trance state on the astral plane.
- When your astral journey is over ensure to properly wash the areas you placed the oil on thoroughly so it doesn’t cross-contaminate other items you touch or brush against.
- Journal your findings for future reflection and insights.
*Can be toxic do not take internally and use carefully.
USE AT OWN DISCRETION AND RISK.
DO NOT use if pregnant, lactating or have a medical or mental/emotinal condition which can put you at risk.
© T. Georgitsis 2014, Updated 2020