To say I have a love of crystals is an understatement. So it goes without saying that I have created and charged many devotional items utilising specific crystals in Hekate’s name. I have used polished and raw pieces which included caves, slabs, points, tumbled stones, beads, set jewellery, pendulums and sun/moon catchers. First and foremost when you buy, inherit, borrow or are gifted crystals it is wise to cleanse and purify them. This ensures the previous energies which could potentially be stagnant, negative or malevolent can be removed and return the crystal to its original vibration.
How to Cleanse and Purify
You can clean and purify your crystals by:
- Immersing them in salt water for 24 hours under the *sun or moon light or by wiping them with a damp cloth soaked in salt water.
- Immersing them in a bowl of brown rice for 3 days on an altar or in the NW corner of a room, home or business.
- Immersing them in a bowl of purified water with fresh flower petals such as marigolds, sage blossoms, sun flowers, iris, honeysuckle, daisies, roses, rosemary blossoms, lemon blossoms, carnations, cherry blossoms and apple blossoms.
- Smudge using herbs such as lavender, sage, cedar and bay.
- Crystal programming. This is the most difficult and requires focused concentration and experience in meditation and working with crystal energies. I have detailed this more thoroughly under the heading “How to Charge a Crystal”.
- Reiki/Sekhem/Seichim which utilities specific symbols channeled through the breath and hands.
- By burying in the earth (garden, pot plant, sand) for 24 hours.
- By sound intoning using crystal bowls, chanting, Tibetan singing bowls, sistras, bellydance cymbals, bells, tuning forks and singing.
- By placing them on or within a clear quartz or amethyst quartz: cluster, slab or cave. You can also place a smokey quartz single terminator crystal on top of them.
- By holding the crystal in the hand which isn’t dominant (ie left hand if you are right handed) and visualise a blue light flowing from your hand and enveloping the crystal.
I like to make my own crystal cleanser which I put into a spray bottle and then spray over my crystal jewellery, caves, slabs, balls, and other shaped crystals due to convenience. This same cleanser can be added to a bowl or tub of purified water which you can wash your crystals in.
Setjataset’s Crystal Cleanser (© T. Georgitsis 2001)
- 1 teaspoons of Rock Salt
- 250 mils Orange Blossom Water
- A pinch of Fresh Rose Petals (omit if you will not or cannot refrigerate)
- 3 Drops of Essential Oil of Clove
- Small Amethyst Crystal (Pebble Sized) 300 mil Capacity Spray Bottle
- Place crystal in bottom of spray bottle.
- Crush rock salt into fine powder and pour into spray bottle.
- Pour orange blossom water and clove oil into spray bottle and shake vigorously.
- Add Rose petals and refrigerate until needed (refrigeration isn’t needed if rosepetals are not added).
*= Do not place amethyst, lavender quartz, rose quartz, smokey quartz, ametrine, beryl, fluorite, danburite, citrine, aquamarine, celestite and kunzite in direct sunlight as it fades.
** = Do not use on soft porous crystals such as: malachite, selenite, angelite, howlite, aragonite, azurite, dolomite, as it will deteriorate the crystals.
How to Charge a Crystal in Hekate’s Name
All crystals take in the various energies they are surrounded by, but you can also tap into them and give them a purpose. This is done via crystal programming. In its essence, crystal programming is a way you can charge your crystal with specific intent and purpose as well as it activating the true capabilities of the crystal. Crystals can absorb, hold and release information, visions and feelings and can be programmed for happiness, abundance, success, healing and whatever else you can think of which you want to manifest in your life. The way crystals are programmed is through projecting your thought form into the crystal in a clear and conscious way.
- Clean crystal of all previous programming (whether it was intentional or not) using the tips of “How to Cleanse and Purify” section above.
- Formulate what you want your crystal to be programmed with, ensuring you think about it carefully as the crystal will only amplify what potential you store within it.
- Enter a place of calm meditative contemplation in a safe space where you wont be disturbed.
- Take the crystal and place it in the middle of your hand which isn’t the dominant one and place the other hand over it in a cupping motion touching the crystal with both hands.
- Place the intent in the crystal now by visualising what you want it to do ie. if you want it to help it heal you, visualise the sickness vanishing away.
- Once you feel that your thoughts have successfully flowed through (you can usually feel this as a circuit running through your body and into the crystal) you have successfully programmed your crystal.
- Repeat the steps 4-6 several times to ensure your crystal has been programmed securely.
Simple Use for Programmed Crystals
Carry it around with you to trigger the properties you programmed it for by rubbing it or holding it between your palms for some extra energy and inspiration.
I have created a list of crystals which resonate with Hekate’s nature. You can use these crystals in Hekate’s magickal workings and devotions whilst bringing in the energies and qualities they omit.
A List of crystals for Hekate by *Setjataset (in alphabetical order by name)
- Black Kyanite
- Black Tourmaline
- Blood Stone
- Blue Kyanite
- Fire Agate
- Fire Opal
- Fire Quartz
- Green Kyanite
- Hag Stone
- Lapis Lazuli
- Petrified Bone
- Quartz – predominately Key Quartz, Phantom Quartz, Activation Quartz, Beta Quartz , Brige Quartz, Celestial Quartz, Channeling Quartz, Deva Quartz, Merlin Quartz (please note that these are quartz formations found within clear quartz).
- Red Jasper
- Routilated Quartz
- Smokey Quartz
- Smokey Quartz
- Snowflake Obsidian
- Tourmelated Quartz
- Travellers Stone
Whatever stone or crystal you use in her name ensure it resonates with the purpose of its use for Hekate and that it’s been cleansed, purified and charged in her name.
(C) *T Georgitsis 2020